Author Topic: Moose Lottery Is June 14  (Read 1862 times)

Offline killditrite

• Forked
Moose Lottery Is June 14
« on: Mar 14, 2007, 04:49:14 PM »
For Immediate Release                                                   March 14, 2007

Moose Lottery Is June 14 at Phippsburg Elementary School

The annual lottery attracts hundreds of hopeful hunters, anxious to see if they will be one of 2,880 selected from a pool of over 65,000 people who will get the chance at the hunt of a lifetime.

AUGUSTA, Maine – Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Commissioner, Roland “Dan” Martin announced today that the Annual Moose Lottery will be held on Thursday, June 14 at 6:00 p.m. at the Phippsburg Elementary School in Phippsburg.

“At 6:00 p.m., we will commence the drawing and announce the name of the first hunter fortunate enough to be selected,” said Martin.

Since 1999, the Department has rotated the lottery throughout the state. Prior to 1999, it was always in Augusta. Over the past eight years, lotteries were held in Millinocket, Boothbay Harbor, Old Town, Bucksport, Scarborough (twice), Presque Isle, and Rumford.

“The Moose Lottery is quite an event, and we are very excited that it is in Phippsburg this year,” said Doug Alexander, President of the Phippsburg Sportsmen’s Association. The event will be held in the gymnasium at the school, and Alexander said that the Phippsburg Sportsmen’s Association, the school boosters and others will have food available for sale at the drawing.

This year, 2,880 names will be drawn in the random chance lottery. Last year over 65,000 people applied to hunt moose in Maine.

"We've moved the drawing to all parts of the state so that people can have the opportunity to be part of it first hand," stated Commissioner Martin.  "Nothing pleases us more than to have members in the audience react to being selected," he said.

Martin said that staff from IF&W including local biologists and game wardens will be on hand.   

“This is an opportunity for sports enthusiasts and the general public to interact with IF&W personnel”, said Martin

Admission to the event is free. In the past, the event has lasted approximately 3-4 hours. Phippsburg Elementary School is located at 1047 Main Road (Route 209) in Phippsburg.

Offline dirk327

• Nubbie
Re: Moose Lottery Is June 14
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2007, 08:21:10 PM »
sweet, probably another year and no moose permit. I love giving money to this fine state!

Offline Red

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2007, 04:10:41 AM »
sweet, probably another year and no moose permit. I love giving money to this fine state!

I put in yesterday, just made it!

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »
I've been applying now for years and one of these time's I may get lucky :'(
     Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline Mainiac

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
I have gotten drawn twice in ten years, not too bad for me. I am hoping to go this year on the wifes permit, well see

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal