Author Topic: Gun Safe Help  (Read 2497 times)

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
Gun Safe Help
« on: Dec 03, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
Well I am thinking it may be time to replace my gun cabinet with a safe this winter. I have been doing some research online and have some ideas what I want to get but was wondering if some of you guys had some thoughts about brands, size, lock type, and other bells and whistles that come with these safes that you might like to share. Thanks.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
Re: Gun Safe Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2012, 03:35:07 AM »

Now that you brought it up, I should get 1 as well, several yrs ago I lost some guns when my house burned down, the only gun that was saved was my 30-30, it was behind the seat of my truck, figures, a typical red neck characteristic ::)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:30:22 AM »
Buy a big one. They seem to shrink once the kids get older.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:34:54 AM »
Buy a big one. They seem to shrink once the kids get older.

I have a StackOn Elite, I cannot remember the capacity but it holds a good amount of guns...it is HEAVY and I got a good deal on it at Bass Pro when they all were on sale...I want to say 40 or 50% off...not sure how many guns you have but like bog said they fill up quick, so go bigger capacity than what you have...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline 200orbust

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:53:19 AM »
Yes i will be getting  a big safe I dont have an extremely large gun collection put I plan on it growing over the coming years with my son, also plan on using it for some other things. I am hopping on this being a once and done thing, not having to buy another one years down the road.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
I lied though, I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods not Bass Pro... It is a 24 gun safe with combo, not electronic, but I don't think it will hold that, that is why I say go bigger than what you have...
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012, 06:03:57 AM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2012, 06:30:17 AM »
Bigger is better except if you are trying to trying to take it up/down stairs.....  Measure the space where it will be going and the smallest opening on the path you will travel.  And then get a heavy duty dolly and some help.  I just bought a BP Redhead 1856 (#450), don't know how good it is but the price was right, and moving it by myself even with a good dolly was pretty tough.  Also don't forget some desiccant or an electronic dehumidifier.  They don't get much ventilation.  One thing I found was I could lift the door off its hinges which made moving it through narrow spaces and by myself alot easier.  Good luck

Chimo

Offline castnblast

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »
I've been thinking its time for a "real" safe now as well. I would have to put it in my basement though and I am worried that the dampness will rust my guns. Anyone have any experience with this? I know they have safe dehumidifiers, but do they work?

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2012, 08:26:08 AM »
Have to run the Dehumidfiers or a golden rod in a basement.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline mdanforth

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:13:08 AM »
cabela's will deliver and set your safe where you want it.....I think it ran another $250 but it was worth it for me...
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2012, 02:59:20 PM by mdanforth »

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2012, 09:24:08 AM »
I lied though, I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods not Bass Pro... It is a 24 gun safe with combo, not electronic, but I don't think it will hold that, that is why I say go bigger than what you have...

I have the same one. Its full and time for another. It is heavy, so I plenty of help bringing it in.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
.I think it ran another $250 but it was worth tit for me...

believe me this is cheap....mine where much more expensive and where trying to kill me........lmao at  myself....I am funny......lol just kidding

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »
Well I am thinking it may be time to replace my gun cabinet with a safe this winter. I have been doing some research online and have some ideas what I want to get but was wondering if some of you guys had some thoughts about brands, size, lock type, and other bells and whistles that come with these safes that you might like to share. Thanks.

Get the best you can afford!!

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »
i have a liberty centurian. it holds about 30 but says it holds 40. other then that i like it. its fire proof to 1400 degrees for 50 minutes! i just put my expensive and sentimental guns in there and the rest go in a cheap stack on 25 gun safe. i also highly recomend having firearm insurance. i take pics of each gun and write down value and serial # and those go in a fire box in the safe and in a safe depsoite box.

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2012, 04:20:04 PM »
You'll like this video!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal