Author Topic: North woods  (Read 7445 times)

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
North woods
« on: Sep 27, 2022, 07:52:57 AM »
Hope you are all having a great season or gearing up for it. Looks like my 2022 season officially starts in Pittsburg NH this year chasing grouse, woodcock, and snowshoes. No dog just solo kicking up brush and covering as much land as possible. Anyone else heading up this season? I'll be up there Oct 8-13 and hoping to cross paths with some type of edible critter. Always tough hunting solo and with no dog but I give it my best shot.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
Re: North woods
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
You know me. As usual, Ill be up there next week!
We don't use dogs either and usually do quite well with 3 or 4 of us bangin the brush. Ya never know though. 2020 was the best year I've had in 10 years, and last year was my worst in 10 years.
We'll see. I'll hit you up Mike

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2022, 06:00:27 PM »
You know me. As usual, Ill be up there next week!
We don't use dogs either and usually do quite well with 3 or 4 of us bangin the brush. Ya never know though. 2020 was the best year I've had in 10 years, and last year was my worst in 10 years.
We'll see. I'll hit you up Mike

Ok! I wont be there this weekend but I will the 8th. Shot you a PM as well.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
I’ll be in Zone 7, Maine, if I tag a sport out and can’t find another I’ll slip over and show you fellas some holes off Cedar Stream
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2022, 06:44:59 AM »
I’ll be in Zone 7, Maine, if I tag a sport out and can’t find another I’ll slip over and show you fellas some holes off Cedar Stream

Sounds good Frank! The more the merrier
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2022, 09:23:07 AM »
I filled an M tag this weekend so I got some meat back in the freezer.
Ready for some thunder chickens now. And maybe some tasty snow bunnies
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2022, 09:25:35 AM by Huntnfish603 »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
Nice HF..👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2022, 09:36:35 AM »
I filled an M tag this weekend so I got some meat back in the freezer.
Ready for some thunder chickens now. And maybe some tasty snow bunnies

Nice job buddy! I haven’t been out since I shot that 8 just been moose scouting. Got 1 Bunny and 2 partridge Saturday though while scouting

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 03, 2022, 10:39:10 AM »
Thanks. Well I had to get something in the freezer before I go on tour...lol
Pittsburg till the 11th. Then leave for Ohio the 22nd. Come back right in time for the opener of ML.
It's a tough life

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2022, 11:50:56 AM »
I’m
Jealous!

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2022, 12:25:23 PM »
Congrats to the both of you, Jason and Frank!

One thing that keep going through my head is how many great shots I had to make to drop 5 birds in 2019 (last time in Pittsburg). I only kicked up like 7 birds in 4 days and shot 5 of them on reaction shots. 2 of them
 flying from tree tops and 3 flying from the ground. Never saw a bunny and I think i kicked up 1 woodcock. I bring this up because I clearly was not in the thick of the birds. I am hoping to find them in decent numbers this year to give me more chances and take off the pressure a bit lol. I have a few days to hunt so I hope to get some chances. I as very surprised that I did not see any bunnies last time. I hope I run into at least one to make some traditional white gravy. I have been spending a ton of hours just looking at areas to try with google maps. Just me and my 20ga and GPS unit in the big woods. Its a bit intimidating but I love it.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2022, 09:28:24 AM »
I was in Maine but in line with the burg and close to spitting distance and the birds were real shy, none in roads and they flushed anywhere near 40 yards. It’s not going to be easy

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2022, 01:22:43 PM »
I was in Maine but in line with the burg and close to spitting distance and the birds were real shy, none in roads and they flushed anywhere near 40 yards. It’s not going to be easy

Well this is actually very helpful so thank you Frank. I normally shoot my 20ga with 3" 7.5 Fiocchi (1 1/4oz) shells but I may step it up to a #6. Little more distance and dropping power especially if the leaves are heavy. What choke do you guys typically use? If I bush whack I use my Benelli M2 20ga with a Mod choke for that 3rd shot. If its more of a road runner day I use my Stevens 555 20ga with a Mod and Imp Mod.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2022, 01:24:04 PM by SHaRPS »
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »
Congrats to the both of you, Jason and Frank!

One thing that keep going through my head is how many great shots I had to make to drop 5 birds in 2019 (last time in Pittsburg). I only kicked up like 7 birds in 4 days and shot 5 of them on reaction shots. 2 of them
 flying from tree tops and 3 flying from the ground. Never saw a bunny and I think i kicked up 1 woodcock. I bring this up because I clearly was not in the thick of the birds. I am hoping to find them in decent numbers this year to give me more chances and take off the pressure a bit lol. I have a few days to hunt so I hope to get some chances. I as very surprised that I did not see any bunnies last time. I hope I run into at least one to make some traditional white gravy. I have been spending a ton of hours just looking at areas to try with google maps. Just me and my 20ga and GPS unit in the big woods. Its a bit intimidating but I love it.
Don't feel bad, I've only got I snowshoe in the last 3 years, and that's covering TONS of ground. Whereas for many years I'd get atleast 3 every trip, usually in many of the same spots or areas. I like heavy spruce, but shot them in many other places as well.  Breeding Cycles, habitat change, I dunno what's going on. We Just keep puttin the boots to the ground.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2022, 02:13:44 PM »
Well this is actually very helpful so thank you Frank. I normally shoot my 20ga with 3" 7.5 Fiocchi (1 1/4oz) shells but I may step it up to a #6. Little more distance and dropping power especially if the leaves are heavy. What choke do you guys typically use? If I bush whack I use my Benelli M2 20ga with a Mod choke for that 3rd shot. If its more of a road runner day I use my Stevens 555 20ga with a Mod and Imp Mod.
I use 6s high brass for everything. It covers all my bases. I like to really each out and touch em. Majority of the time I'm shooting through thick cover so it works effectively.
 I'm old school, this is all out of a 16 gauge 1930s era Fox sxs. Improved and modified.
Are there more effective options, maybe. Do I have 20 other shot guns, yes. But I usually have little problem puttin em down. I enjoy the nostalgia of using a tool that my grandfather used since the 40s. If that gun could talk. Probably  thousands of birds taken over the years.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2022, 04:03:26 PM by Huntnfish603 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal