Author Topic: goose calls  (Read 3804 times)

Offline maaco321.

• 6 Pointer
  • Take a kid hunting
goose calls
« on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
Hey boys, Im lookin to do some goose huntin this season and was wondering what your favorite goose calls are, and also the easiest to use for a beginner? ANY info helps. Thanks!   :) :) :)

Offline fowl mood

• 6 Pointer
  • waterfowl sicko
Re: goose calls
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »
I normally suggest that when someone is looking for a goose call that they go to an outdoor show where they can try several ones at different booths.  The other reason for this is that there is usually a staffer there for the call company that can help you put the air thru the call the right way and can work with you.  Not sure when the next show will be near you though.

I would strongly suggest that you go with a short reed call vs. a flute call.  The reason for this is that, even though the flute call is easier to learn and takes little to no back pressure to run, it is harder to make the transition from a flute to a short reed when you decide to go that route.

Also there is no reason to run right out and drop 150-175 bones on a high end acrylic call until you get the mechanics of blowing a call the proper way.  Here are a couple of suggestions on a good poly call to get you headed in the right direction.  The first one is a Foiles Meat Grinder.  This call will cost you around $50 or $60 and is great call to learn with and blows real easy and does not take a lot of air to run.  Another good poly call is the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II.  Again this call sounds great for very little money.  I think they cost around $30.  Also a Zink PC-1 in poly for an easy blowing call.

That is step 1.  Step 2 would be to get yourself an instructional CD.  I would strongly suggest Scott Threinen's CD Bad Grammar ----> http://www.moltgear.com/badgrammarcd.html .  This is probably the best instructional goose calling information out there.

The only other info I can offer is to practice your nards off.  Blow that sucker every chance you get and don't try to do too much at once.  Learn the basic honks and clucks and get to the point where you have them down pat before moving on other cadences.

Good luck and have fun with it.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:38:50 PM by fowl mood »

Offline cobrican

• Spiked
    • Sawyer Consulting
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
I just found, and LOVE, the Speck call from Riceland Custom Calls.  www.ricelandcustomcalls.com

This speck call is the best I've heard.  I grew up hunting specklebelly geese and have used quite a few different calls.  This one is made to be a speck call, not a coyote call or a canada goose call with new guts.
Pro Staff, Talkhunting Magazine  www.talkhunting.com
Sawyer Consulting LLC  Management for hunting and recreation properties
UFA Member  www.unitedforumsassoc.com

Offline maaco321.

• 6 Pointer
  • Take a kid hunting
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
Is it just for specklebellies or for canada's too?

Offline cobrican

• Spiked
    • Sawyer Consulting
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
just specks.  They also make snow calls and duck calls, but his real jewel is the speck call.

Offline maaco321.

• 6 Pointer
  • Take a kid hunting
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
no canada calls though?

Offline cobrican

• Spiked
    • Sawyer Consulting
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
No.  He is a Louisiana call maker.  We just don't have Canada Geese down here.  He wouldn't sell any locally. 

Offline quackersmasher

• Spiked
  • Load up and let the good times fly
« Reply #7 on: Aug 24, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
I normally suggest that when someone is looking for a goose call that they go to an outdoor show where they can try several ones at different booths.  The other reason for this is that there is usually a staffer there for the call company that can help you put the air thru the call the right way and can work with you.  Not sure when the next show will be near you though.

I would strongly suggest that you go with a short reed call vs. a flute call.  The reason for this is that, even though the flute call is easier to learn and takes little to no back pressure to run, it is harder to make the transition from a flute to a short reed when you decide to go that route.

Also there is no reason to run right out and drop 150-175 bones on a high end acrylic call until you get the mechanics of blowing a call the proper way.  Here are a couple of suggestions on a good poly call to get you headed in the right direction.  The first one is a Foiles Meat Grinder.  This call will cost you around $50 or $60 and is great call to learn with and blows real easy and does not take a lot of air to run.  Another good poly call is the Buck Gardner Canada Hammer II.  Again this call sounds great for very little money.  I think they cost around $30.  Also a Zink PC-1 in poly for an easy blowing call.

That is step 1.  Step 2 would be to get yourself an instructional CD.  I would strongly suggest Scott Threinen's CD Bad Grammar ----> http://www.moltgear.com/badgrammarcd.html .  This is probably the best instructional goose calling information out there.

The only other info I can offer is to practice your nards off.  Blow that sucker every chance you get and don't try to do too much at once.  Learn the basic honks and clucks and get to the point where you have them down pat before moving on other cadences.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Well said, if you have any waterfowl questions just ask this guy
If it flies it dies. Shoot now identify later.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
I have a canda hammer, a pc-1 and a flute and they all worked very well or starter calls. Just upgraded to a Zink moneymaker and I LOVE it, sounds fantastic after a couple hours of practicing  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal