Author Topic: Bear Bait  (Read 9491 times)

Offline JetsOrBust

• Nubbie
  • Go Jets Go!
Bear Bait
« on: Mar 12, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum... and also new to bear hunting.  I live in Winnipeg Manitoba (Canada) and am looking to spend a bit of time with a buddy this spring going for a black bear hunt.

We're looking to find a spot on public land in the Lac du Bonnet area.  Does anyone have any tips on where we can get relatively cheap bait, or what they would set up for a bear baiting station?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathon

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
Re: Bear Bait
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »
welcome to the site! go to restaurants and get used fryer oil, and go to bakeries and grab the stuff they are throwing out, cheap dry dog food works too! good luck
Take a Kid outside...

Offline sra61

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:45:17 PM »
welcome to the site! go to restaurants and get used fryer oil, and go to bakeries and grab the stuff they are throwing out, cheap dry dog food works too! good luck
Yeah we used the same thing. We'd have the restaurants save their oil in the plastic jugs it came in. We were packing into the back country with horses, and that worked good. We would buy the cheapest dry dog food we could find in 50 lb. bags. Again easy to pack in. We would dig a 2' diameter hole, maybe 2' deep, mix grease into a pad in front of the hole so they all stepped in it, and made a little fire right there and burned a little grease every time we rebaited. We only used maybe a third of a 5 gallon bucket of dog food mixed with enough grease to make it messy. My theory was that the small amount of goodies would make the bigger, smarter bears show earlier if they wanted any of the good stuff. We killed multiple bears on one bait, and one made B&C. Like I said though we were hunting back country bears that weren't really educated. More pressured bears might be different. This Chocolate was nearly 8 ft. and made B & C. Just so everyone knows this was when I was Outfitting in Idaho. Baiting is illegal in Montana.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2012, 05:46:56 PM by sra61 »

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
awesome bear!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline JetsOrBust

• Nubbie
  • Go Jets Go!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2012, 08:58:09 AM »
That is a nice looking bear!

It sounds like dog food is a good way to go.  Do most people got with a dug out pit or a bair bait barrel?   I guess it might depend on if you need to keep raccoons out?

Offline sra61

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »
The guy in the picture is about 6'5" and big. He hunted for about 15 minutes that evening when that big sucker walked in behind the bait! 

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »
Hi JetsorBust ,I'm from around your area and we use wheat and bread from the bread basket in Winnipeg when we can get it ( just don't tell them that it's for bear baiting , they won't sell it to you ) .We have had great success with popcorn and liquid molasses bought from a feed mill . We have always used barrels because because  there are to many animals that will eat or run off with the food .We have tried various scent baits rangeing from beaver to fish and they all work in one degree or another .But as was said resturaunt grease is great  as well , they get it onto there hide and where ever they walk they leave a scent path for other bears to follow .

Offline JetsOrBust

• Nubbie
  • Go Jets Go!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »
That's great to know, thanks for the info!

Offline BigBurk

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
We use oat, honey, used fryer oil in our bait barrels 99% of the time and do really good. I usually will throw in some fish every once in a while just to sweeten the pot  :)
Real men don't go to the grocery store, they can support their family with what the land gives them

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

I know a guy up in Maine that uses Dunkin Donuts, says the work really well.

Offline JetsOrBust

• Nubbie
  • Go Jets Go!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
Also I got my bear bait barrel.  It's got a 4" square hole about halfway up to the top.  My plan was to chain the barrel upright to a tree but I started wondering....

If I do this, will bears be able to get the bait out?  Should I have put the hole closer to the bottom so they can just scratch it out?  Anyone know?

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »
Lots ov videos on YouTube..

"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline mt.perchman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »
hey in mt. we cant bait just spot and stalk .guess because of the grizzlys.but back in my other life back in mich. we used any thing sweet,cookies,bread ,stale donuts ,i did use doog food.pile your bait up and cover with logs ,branches ect.than i poured 1 gallon of molasses all over the logs.than just for kicks i would smear penutbutter on a tree as high as i could reach.than set a trail camera on oppiste side.makes for some great picts. good luck may we all get big bears this year. ;D ;D ;D
LIVING THE DREAM IN BIG SKY MONTANA !!!

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
          I know a guy up in Maine that uses Dunkin Donuts, says the work really well.
.................If you can get sweets then that is the way to go ! They're hard to come by these days .We used to get bread and pastry years ago but the animal rights people got informed as to what the extra produce was being used for and they couldn't sell it us anymore ,although if we said it was for farm feed then they would allow it ? I've even heard of guys getting bulk rejsct candy and useing it ,but sweets are a sure thing .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal