Author Topic: Bear scat?  (Read 9247 times)

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
  • If it swims, walks , or flies, it dies!
Bear scat?
« on: Apr 18, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
Was out last weekend for spring bear opener. Pretty much got skunked on the bears but found a pile of scat. It contained mostly seeds and red berries. Would this been from last fall when berries were ripe? It seems hard to believe sitting through a winter in the mountains of Montana it would still appear fresh (whole and not decomposed). Trying to target food sources for these buggers.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Bear scat?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2007, 02:05:54 PM »
A bear doesn't poop while hibernating so the seeds would just sit in it's intestine until it woke up and went out to take it's spring deposit in the forest.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2007, 08:33:21 AM »
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info.

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2007, 01:32:26 PM »
I agree mtlion, when a bear come out in the spring and its digestive system kicks in, it is very obvious. Green grass does not look like fall berries.

Big snow storm, had 10" at my house yesterday. that will slow things down a bit.

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:15:47 PM »
Good observations guy's. Thanks alot for the input. Any body been trying any form of distress calls for bears? It may produce if a guy get's in the right spot at the right time. My nephew say's I'm just using the wrong bait :D  I mainly just enjoy being outdoors walking and such , but there has to be a way to put some more odds on my side. Too bad we can't bait em in :(   Gamedog

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »
so I just think of it as a nice day in the woods. Seeing a bear is icing on the cake.
Amen brother ;) Hunting is ALOT more than filling a tag.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2007, 02:45:20 PM by GAMEDOG »

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2007, 01:08:48 AM »
well ain't you in the middle of nowhere, I was in the bull mtns. last year, and then went a couple hours north to shoot prairie dogs, I don't konw about you, but I'd be up in the snowy mtns. keeping cool, too danged hot by roundup.  That's interesting though that there are bear?  can I buy a tag over the counter being a non-res?  It sounds like fun, can you bait them?

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2007, 08:46:24 AM »
well ain't you in the middle of nowhere, I was in the bull mtns. last year, and then went a couple hours north to shoot prairie dogs, I don't konw about you, but I'd be up in the snowy mtns. keeping cool, too danged hot by roundup.  That's interesting though that there are bear?  can I buy a tag over the counter being a non-res?  It sounds like fun, can you bait them?
Montana doesn't allow baiting for bears. As far as over the counter tags , I'm not sure . If your interested , try Montana FWP on the internet as their site should answer any questions.

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2007, 10:59:53 AM »
Normal scat from trip to Libby this spring, not the one I shot but a shooter  for sure. Never saw this bear but did see 4 piles from it over a couple days time. This pile was a few days old. I have a size 11 boot.

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2007, 01:15:31 PM »
Holy crap, I doubt you'd have trouble missing a pile like that.

Offline flatlander02138

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »
Holy crap, I doubt you'd have trouble missing a pile like that.

Never saw a pile that big, is it griz?  Here in NH I've seen a few in last month.  Tonight on marshes edge it had whole corn kernels and seeds but very greenish, not black.  Any idea if its bullfrog diet or lack of meat?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal