Author Topic: GOOD! NAB THEM ALL.  (Read 2287 times)

Offline remnard

• Nubbie
GOOD! NAB THEM ALL.
« on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:22:39 AM »
“Operation Jackhammer” cracks down on deer poaching

ALBANY – Over 100 people were charged with over 250 offenses as the state DEC conducted “Operation Jackhammer,” targeting people who take deer by using artificial light.

“Deer jacking” involves hunting where poachers shine a spotlight on a deer feeding in fields to “freeze” the animal long enough to shoot it, killing deer when they are most vulnerable.

Over 100 EnCon officers from the Hudson Valley, Catskills, Capital Region and Adirondacks spend six weeks targeting rural areas with stakeouts at all hours of the night.  During the operation, DEC officers charged 107 people with 187 misdemeanors and 87 violations. That included 27 instances of deer jacking to kill deer and 48 instances of hunters using lights but not yet killing a deer when caught.

Other related charges were filed, including carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle, hunting after hours and firing a gun within 500 feet of a house.

Approximately 40 guns were confiscated and 42 illegally taken deer recovered.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: GOOD! NAB THEM ALL.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:36:32 AM »
I thought they used that buck decoy...? too bad 42 deer got killed illegally...hammer them!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline Cheeks13

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:57:07 AM »
They should never be allowed to have a license again... privilege not right! Cheeks out!!! 8)
"You see it your way... I see it the way it is."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:00:02 AM »
WOW- 100 people that's a lot of poaching. Stealing from the honest guy.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
I'm so proud to be a New Yorker!! Guess that raise in the license fee really paid off this year!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2009, 06:58:52 PM by upstatehunter »

Offline aj454

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
Too bad thats only a small fraction of them. you need to catch all of them so there is more deer for the honest guy

Offline Zorros Shack

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Yes get the stupid poachers out of there! The deer are there to be taken responsibly!

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
Between the Coyotes and the poachers no wonder theres hardly any deer left!!!!!This was the worst years I have ever seen for Ny...... :'(

halfrack33

« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2009, 09:54:06 PM »
Between the Coyotes and the poachers no wonder theres hardly any deer left!!!!!This was the worst years I have ever seen for Ny...... :'(

the winter kill was bad up north last winter as well. Plus with so many turkeys now theres way more competition for food. I've heard the coyotes will follow the does until they give birth and eat the fawns. Even heard the black bears have been seen eating fawns. This year was horrible hunting in NY... yes there were people that got nice deer, but overall, almost anyone you talked to would talk about how bad it was this year, especiallyu Nothern Zone

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal