Author Topic: Saw some bone.  (Read 9985 times)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Saw some bone.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »
So are the deer on property that's posted for all hunting or do some have access. I would guess that with that many deer and that aggressive management strategy there must be Lot's of inaccessible animals.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Sep 08, 2010, 06:45:59 PM »
I glad you asked bogman. It's a private land and the odds of getting permission is slim. Unless your a family member or good friend your probably looking at leasing land as your best shot(I by no means am rich but I can offer up free labor). Next year I plan to be a little more proactive in gaining permission to new properties.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:07:53 PM »
It never hurts to ask. I find here that we still have a few decent sized tract's of land left but the access is difficult. If there is public access to any part of it that area is saturated with pressure. Now if you can find some one willing to let you park in their driveway to get into the back side of the same piece your in business. Lot's of folks here are tired of their shrubs and flower gardens being flattened or there kid's have Lyme and are welcoming me in. "Just open the gate,walk around the pool and go out through the back yard". If your willing to help some one with labor all the better, Help them split some firewood,shovel a snow storm or two, fix a fence here and there. Next thing you know they tell the neighbor over coffee what a great guy you are and your in there too.
Never be afraid to ask, all they can say is no, of course your bound to have a few that love all god's furry creatures they eat tofu with granola and give you some crap but just laugh and walk away.

I remember my dad asking a farmer for permission to hunt in the berkshires when I was a teen. The whole farm was posted. We were hunting out of a camper at a state forest at that time.Dad went over knocked on the door, next thing I know we are in the guy's living room. Had all his land posted because of a few problems with livestock and fences damaged.Gates left open ,stuff like that. Said he wasn't opposed to people hunting on his property he just wanted to know who they were. No one else had ever asked. Well that afternoon the camper was parked next to his barn. We had a few hundred acres to ourselves for about 8 years. The farmed died and his kid's subdivided it into houselot's.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2010, 07:17:25 PM by bogmanjr »
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »
Never be afraid to ask, all they can say is no, of course your bound to have a few that love all god's furry creatures they eat tofu with granola and give you some crap but just laugh and walk away.
I could not agree with you more. Have you been to MD before? You seem to know exactly what some of the people eat around here. :o ;D ;D

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
Had to add a story from my youth for ya.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »
I could not agree with you more. Have you been to MD before? You seem to know exactly what some of the people eat around here. :o ;D ;D

They're not exclusive to MD believe me. Boston's only a 45 min ride away from me.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #21 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:26:58 PM »
Can definately relate to that. A lot of land has been developed in the county I live in over the years. Matter of fact they have been building all around my 25 acre spot over the last year. >:(. Less land and more hunters to contend with every year around here.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
You  could always do what my cousin from Pitsfield did....He got into a little jam with the law. Hired a lawyer, who happened to have a farm in West Virginia.
He invited guys to hunt and videoed them. My cousin took some great bucks there over the next 10 years. LOL Sometimes there is a silver lining.
Oh and he didn't do anything real bad, just liked to go real fast on his motorcycle.
Your right guys, never hurts to ask. Had a gentleman walk up to me this summer and ask why I don't stop in to get permission anymore. I explained
the family he has as caretakers weren't exactly the type I like to be around hunting. I asked if he knew one of them had been arested for shooting the
state mechanical deer from the road off the hood of his truck, in the headlights. He said no he hadn't heard that, but would check into it.
He did say the winters must have been real bad lately as they had been charging a lot to plow and shovel the roof.LOL we got less than 2' of natural snow last year....
I didn't have the heart to tell him, the deer are disappearing from them hunting in a group of up to 10-12 guys and shooting everything they see in muzzle loader season.
Who knows maybe he will call me, gave him my number. He may just have had enough of these guys.
Guys I worked with the last 6 years go every year to Ohio. They take a camper and share expenses. Costs them less than 600 for a week, including licenses.
 Ohio's out of state license is not a lot more than I pay for mine here in NY. They get some nice deer. Always a way to go hunting.

Offline ltm0807

• Fawn
« Reply #23 on: Sep 08, 2010, 10:03:02 PM »
I've never seen them before in the natural environment. Sometimes I just saw them in the zoo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Development Company
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 11:31:18 PM by ltm0807 »
<a href= “http://softwareoutsourcing.biz”>Web Development Company</a>

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2010, 07:33:51 AM »
I've never seen them before in the natural environment. Sometimes I just saw them in the zoo

You have never seen what in the wild?? A deer??    Oh, welcome to the site...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #25 on: Sep 09, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »
?????????

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Sep 09, 2010, 08:52:40 AM »
Welcome to the site ltm0807. Stick around and I'll show you some dead ones. ;) ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Sep 09, 2010, 09:34:47 AM »
 ??? ??? ???
LOL DRob, the following pictures may not be for the squeamish.....

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #28 on: Sep 09, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »
??? ??? ???
LOL DRob, the following pictures may not be for the squeamish.....
Sorry starting to get a little antsy ;D. I always push the tongue in and try clean the blood off before the hero shot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal