Author Topic: Finding Dead Deer  (Read 8957 times)

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
Finding Dead Deer
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:42:11 AM »
Well the last weekend of Northern Zone I was walking up an oak ridge & spotted some white on the ground. After walking up a little closer to it I realized what I was seeing was a rib cage. I got up there and found a pretty well stripped out carcass. I flipped over the hide and here was this nice little 7" spike horn. The yotes & crows had it picked pretty well clean but I was able to salvage a fun Euro mount for my son to clean up. He was laying right off of a ATV trail in the open hardwoods quite a distance from the nearest road. Makes me wonder what brought this guy down. It was clean up to the point where I couldn't tell if he had been shot & lost or if the Yotes brought him down. This is the spike my dad had seen earlier in the season.

Just wondering if any one else has found any interesting dead deer?

Offline gump

• 6 Pointer
Re: Finding Dead Deer
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
Actually we found a spike last week with small 3-4" spikes.  What really bothered me was that there was a gunshot hole 4" behind the shoulder.  This deer couldn't have gone far at all with what appeared to be a well placed shot.  Either the hunter didn't bother tracking him or he found him, thinking when he shot it it was a doe, and didn't want to put him on his buck tag (or didn't have one.)   Sucks!

Offline chimo

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:09:30 AM »
Interesting no...   But I have found 2 deer down here in MD that had been shot and lost or left.  One was a little spike and the other was one of this years fawns.  The spike looked like it had been shot to far back but the fawn was shot right through the shoulders and it looked like its ears hand been cut off and the deer left behind...  I still haven't figured that one out  ???  Good hunting

Chimo

Offline pyle

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 11:21:53 AM »
I found a 10 point last year on the last day of the season. Was fresh. Still warm. We had about a foot of snow on the ground and most was melted around him where he was laying. Checked him over from top to bottom and not a single thing wrong with him. No holes,no broken bones,nothing.

Called the DEC and they came out and issued a tag for it. But I didnt need it cause I still had a couple left ::) We skinned it and found the problem. Gang green on the whole front. Both shoulders. But not a mark on the outside. ???  Needless to say we didn't eat it. But it made a heck of a euro mount.

Offline bunnyasassyn

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
we were doing a little drive out behind our house the first week of gun season and found a beautiful 10 dead just inside the woods. i dunno if some road hunter shot and thought they missed or what happened but whoever shot it freakin smoked it right thru both shoulders there was blood all over the place. it makes me sick that whoever shot it didnt look for it cuz it was real nice and had good character and woulda been a mint trophy for someone  :(

Offline Shed94

• 6 Pointer
  • 24/7 Antlerman
    • Shed Antler Nation
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
I found this nice 10pt,while out shed antler hunting.

Antlers ~ N ~ Artifacts

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:21:25 PM »
Sucks finding nice bucks dead. Shed94 u been gettin many sheds yet? Was gonna go out but saw nice buck the other day still with both sides

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Nice find Shed94,  It's a shame to find nice deer like that down for no good reason.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
Found this buck last year while shed hunting.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »

Was the arrow with it?
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:00:03 PM »

Was the arrow with it?

No but it was found on the same property as the buck. A park property that does not allow hunting either. 

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:44:07 PM »
Worked allday in a deer yard in fulton county,coyote tracks everywheres--

Offline Shed94

• 6 Pointer
  • 24/7 Antlerman
    • Shed Antler Nation
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »
Sucks finding nice bucks dead. Shed94 u been gettin many sheds yet? Was gonna go out but saw nice buck the other day still with both sides

I've found a couple of sheds,but most of the bucks are still carrying.

Good luck this season Stuck-on-Seven!
Antlers ~ N ~ Artifacts

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
Actually was out today and found half a six pt. My first this yr. Buddy of mine was in the same area and found a real nice 9pt dead. Got pics but still cant post em

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
Actually was out today and found half a six pt. My first this yr. Buddy of mine was in the same area and found a real nice 9pt dead. Got pics but still cant post em

Way to keep us in suspense Stuck. ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal