Author Topic: label your arrows  (Read 9852 times)

Offline Bundy

• Nubbie
  • What cha lookin' at?
label your arrows
« on: Jun 04, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
Quick question- I'm trying my hand at bear hunting this year with my bow.According to New Hampshire laws, your arrows must be labeled with the hunter's name and address. If I just use an address label, will that affect my flight, or do I paint the info on the arrow?

Thanks. Bundy
Will you just try it- honest, it tastes like chicken.....only better!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: label your arrows
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2007, 07:42:14 AM »
Quick question- I'm trying my hand at bear hunting this year with my bow.According to New Hampshire laws, your arrows must be labeled with the hunter's name and address. If I just use an address label, will that affect my flight, or do I paint the info on the arrow?

Thanks. Bundy

Unbelievable!!!! You have to label the arrow!!?? I would use a fine tip permanent marker. Putting and address label will affect the flight.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2007, 10:10:46 AM »
I agree with Roy that it seems to be a stupid law!!!!!
But I disagree that an address lable will effect the arrow flight.  You can buy "cresting" kits that are no more than stickers that you dress your arrows up with different graphics.  Same thing.  If you use a 1 or 2 prong rest I would put the sticker so it did not touch the rest just to be sure but I would put the address lables on the arrow no proubs.  Will be lots more simple than trying to write W/ a sharpie on every shaft.

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
  • If it swims, walks , or flies, it dies!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2007, 04:04:14 PM »
Why not just tape your tag to the arrow ::)

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2007, 01:14:56 PM »
http://www.macarchery.com/wraps_target.htm

Check this out might be an option for you? Seems kinda strange to me also but a law is a law.
Good luck!

oops sorry: just noticed this place is in England but you get the idea anyways.

Here is another one to look at: http://www.arrowskins.com/index.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2007, 01:29:09 PM by zimmer2 »

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »
If you use vanes why not just write on them with a regular ball point pen. I mark all my arrows that way so I know if one is shooting off a little
      Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2007, 10:54:38 PM »
If i was you, i wouldnt use the skins! They stick to the arrow and if a little corner of the skin peels up, it will effect your arrow flight!!  Fine tip permanent marker would work the best!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Bundy

• Nubbie
  • What cha lookin' at?
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2007, 09:04:19 AM »
Thanks for all the info, brothers of the bow. I agree, I think it is kind of foolish to have to label your arrows. I hope I won't have to label my bullets next........

Bundy.
« Last Edit: Jun 10, 2007, 09:06:23 AM by Bundy »

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »
I write on the vane with a sharpie to tell which arrow is which. Might seem strange but i number them and use the arrows in sequence. While deer hunting i keep one old arrow in the quiver with bear written on it. If a bear comes by this saves ruining a good arrow. A bear is solid and at times hard to pass through so why have him breaking a good arrow while running through the brush.

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2007, 10:12:48 AM »
I write on the vane with a sharpie to tell which arrow is which. Might seem strange but i number them and use the arrows in sequence. While deer hunting i keep one old arrow in the quiver with bear written on it. If a bear comes by this saves ruining a good arrow. A bear is solid and at times hard to pass through so why have him breaking a good arrow while running through the brush.
A bear is a living big game animal and deserves the respect from any one hunting them.  This respect includes a well placed shot, sharp broad heads and the best equipment you can afford.  Not some old beat up arrow that may not fly straight.
Ethical hunters only

Offline Bundy

• Nubbie
  • What cha lookin' at?
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »
Just my opinion, but why would you use anything but the best of your equipment while in the woods? Arrows that don't fly perfect should be shot in the backyard- or not at all. I don't have the greatest set up of all time or the most expensive gear, but I usually hit where I aim because I practice alot and buy the best that I can afford, no offense, but I'll shoot my best arrows in the woods, and any one that I pull out of my quiver will be just as deadly as the next.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll use the sharpie on a fletch.

Bundy

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »
apparently you guys[dog and bundy] missunderstood what i was saying because you read what you want to. I did not say my broadhead was not sharp or my arrow does not fly true. I merely stated that I did not use one of my good[ornew] arrows. A bear is a tough animal and without the perfect hit I have seen many people lose bear and arrows. I myself have shot many bear but i guess because i am not an 66ethical66 hutner i only shoot choice bear and ussually give the meat to local game clubs or the needy organizations. I have shot 19 bear only losing 1 to a bad hit in the shoulder.  Sorry I cant be as ethical as you guys!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal