Author Topic: How long is too long to hang a deer in these temps?  (Read 12399 times)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: How long is too long to hang a deer in these temps?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
X2 and make sure it can drain the the water can cause rot. I don't like to lay mine down either they always hang. If you lay it down the bottom side seems to bruise and clot

Blood pooling in the tissue.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Oct 20, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »
i nusually cram a stick or old broom handle across the rib cage in the chest cavity then bungy or tie the ice to the stick

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #32 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »
why do many Hunters hang their deer out front in a tree and leave it there in the sun ,rain and snow for days and days???so everyone can see it??
not anyone I hunt with..

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #33 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »
I agree HB, no one I would want to hunt with would treat a deer that way. But that's why a lot of people swear they hate venison. I've changed a few minds with properly processed and cook venison.

The day I get it home the skin, hoofs and head all come off. I also prop the chest open with a piece of wood. I tried to age one in an old refrigerator last year and the damn thing crapped out on me, I lost about 1/4 of the deer. I'm back to doing every deer ASAP like I always did.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #34 on: Oct 20, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »
How long can a deer hang that was field dressed 15 minutes after it was shot. Temps are in the mid to low 40s at night and mid to uper 50 during the day?
i didn't read through the whole thread but just sayin a few years ago i used to work out of town 5 days a week,i shot a deer on sun and let it hang for 4 days with the hide on it at night was down in the 40's or mid40's and during the day hit 60.the deer was hung in a garage and out of the sun,when i butchered it was fine.i deffinitly didn't like doing that but really had no choice.i always hang a deer a minimum of 48hours before butchering i'm just going by some standards of a few ol timers that i know.but as they say you gotta leave the hide on till you cut it up
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
My uncle is a plumber and used to be an avid bow hunter. He went to a guys house last year to do some work while he was on vacation. When he opened the garage door he said the stench almost knocked him over. There was a decent buck that was hanging for over a week in early season heat still whole (dressed). the hide may have been draped over the head. He called him and refused to work in there until it was taken care of and aired out.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #36 on: Oct 20, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
I went on a chimney fire call a few years back,and in the kitchen of this guys house were 4 frozen whole deer thawing out piled up against the wall,another guy had a deer hanging in his back yard and the second week of March the local C.O. told him to get rid of it.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #37 on: Oct 20, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
I went on a chimney fire call a few years back,and in the kitchen of this guys house were 4 frozen whole deer thawing out piled up against the wall,another guy had a deer hanging in his back yard and the second week of March the local C.O. told him to get rid of it.

March.....That's some well aged meat. :o
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Oct 20, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
To bad they couldn't make him eat it, what a waste.

Offline NorthvilleNewbie

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »
I'll put it to ya this way, - from a food service perspective. Meat and other foodstuffs begin to grow bacteria that produce toxins if they remain in the "temperature danger zone" of 41F to 135F for more than four hours. So lets say you kill a buck on a cool evening during magic hour, say 35F. You can field dress it, and hang it all night in the garage, because its only gonna get cooler. Check weather.com and look at the high temps for tomorrow, anything greater than 41F at some point in the day, and you're gonna wanna think about taking it down and putting it in the freezer. Do not leave the meat hanging out for more than three to four hours in temps that exceed 41F. IF the temps hang below 41 for the next few days, then no rush.

Just remember 41F is the magic number according to the National Restaurant Association, (the other NRA)

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »
u fail to take into account the 35 degree night temp will keep the meat below 41 if the fur is left on. the hide will keep the meat cool during the day. i just butchered 2 deer that hung all weekend with daytime temps in the mid 40s however night temps were in the 30s. no spoilage of the meet occured ;)

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #41 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:16:28 PM »
u fail to take into account the 35 degree night temp will keep the meat below 41 if the fur is left on. the hide will keep the meat cool during the day. i just butchered 2 deer that hung all weekend with daytime temps in the mid 40s however night temps were in the 30s. no spoilage of the meet occured ;)

X2 COUNT IT!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Otto

• 6 Pointer
  • Something is always in season!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 25, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
I just read an article about this in Outdoor Life, it's not on their website that I can find.  It listed proper temps and how to hang, and also talked about leaving older deer hanging longer to help tenderize the meat.   I'll scan it tomorrow and put it up here. 
Boom, Done!

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Oct 25, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »
I don't know. I shot mine Saturday & butchered it Sunday. High in the 50's had me taking no chances at all.

Offline Otto

• 6 Pointer
  • Something is always in season!
« Reply #44 on: Oct 26, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
Here is the article from Field and Stream, November 2011 issue (not Outdoor Life, sorry)  The trick is to get it into the 34-37 F degree range, not quite sure how you do that unless you have access to a walk-in cooler....
Boom, Done!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal