Author Topic: Kill the Coyotes, now they are killing Horses!  (Read 6071 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Nubbie
Kill the Coyotes, now they are killing Horses!
« on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »
Did you all read the article in the Sun Journal paper this morning that 3 coyotes killed a horse in Otisfield??
This is not too far from where i live and let me tell you that if i see one on my property it is dead!!!!   (the coyote not the horse). Apparently some other horses managed to get to the barn but this older horse with poor vision didnt make it.
The article is worth reading if you go to the Lewiston Sun Journal
http://www.advertiserdemocrat.com/frontstory1.shtml
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2009, 06:16:16 PM by smeltshack »

Offline 3006 deerslayer

• 6 Pointer
Re: Kill the Coyotes, now they are killing Horses!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »
There's no trouble with coyotes in Maine, just ask DIFW! They do no damage to the deer herd at all neither.  >:( >:( >:( These bios need to get there heads out of there azz's and get out from behind the desk and get out in the real world and see what's going on!! End of story or there going to be a lot more stories like this one(Next time it just might be someone's kid out sledding,hopefully not but it is possible.)!! Put a bounty on the yotes and actually put our license fees to good use instead of pizzing it away or seeing who is going to steal it first!! >:( >:( >:(
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot gun,
he likely knows how to use it."

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
this is not the first story of coyote killed horses I have heard of this year  Ive heard of  3-4 other stories similar to that.   Night hunting starts in less than a week 8)
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline surfandturf

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2009, 12:12:02 AM »
I got just the thing to fix the coyote problem, too bad it's limited to 5 rounds in the woods. >:(

I know you can't eat the horns but the meat on the wall looks terrible and after a while it begins to smell.

Offline salmon44

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2009, 06:33:45 AM »
There's no trouble with coyotes in Maine, just ask DIFW! They do no damage to the deer herd at all neither.  >:( >:( >:( These bios need to get there heads out of there azz's and get out from behind the desk and get out in the real world and see what's going on!! End of story or there going to be a lot more stories like this one(Next time it just might be someone's kid out sledding,hopefully not but it is possible.)!! Put a bounty on the yotes and actually put our license fees to good use instead of pizzing it away or seeing who is going to steal it first!! >:( >:( >:(

Well said, I still can't believe DIFW does not fight for snaring to be legal.  When done properly snaring is a very usefull tool for getting rid of a few coyotes.  Will, I feel the same way you do, the DIFW bios, have no clue and if they do, nothing being done except watching our once great deer herd dissapear.

Offline animalkilla

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
I trap coyotes but at 10 dollars a pelt i cant afford to travel far and wide to catch them wish i could put a 25 dollar bounty on them and you would see the deer herd increase and the coyote population decrease just my opinion

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
I don't have much use for either horses or coyotes so I don't have a dog in this fight. While I do not rule out coyotes I'd be quicker to suspect domestic dogs with the killing of livestock. As a cattle owner I have / do often see coyotes in the fields and pastures but have never had them bother full grown animals ( I have lost a couple of calves in the past couple of years that I suspect coyotes are responsible for) I do think that the coyotes are getting more abundant but I suspect it has more to do with turkeys than deer. I agree that on snow the coyotes get their fair share and then some of deer but the explosion of turkeys in recent years has been a boon to all predatory species. I would be curious to know how it was determined to be coyotes and not the neighbors dogs.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Zorros Shack

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »
I got just the thing to fix the coyote problem, too bad it's limited to 5 rounds in the woods. >:(

Now that is it!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:16:02 PM »
I don't have much use for either horses or coyotes so I don't have a dog in this fight. While I do not rule out coyotes I'd be quicker to suspect domestic dogs with the killing of livestock. As a cattle owner I have / do often see coyotes in the fields and pastures but have never had them bother full grown animals ( I have lost a couple of calves in the past couple of years that I suspect coyotes are responsible for) I do think that the coyotes are getting more abundant but I suspect it has more to do with turkeys than deer. I agree that on snow the coyotes get their fair share and then some of deer but the explosion of turkeys in recent years has been a boon to all predatory species. I would be curious to know how it was determined to be coyotes and not the neighbors dogs.

Taking out the old and weak, isn't that what their purpose is?
I'm not against shooting coyotes, but they do have a purpose, and killing a old weak horse doesn't mean their killing horses.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
Taking out the old and weak, isn't that what their purpose is?
I'm not against shooting coyotes, but they do have a purpose, and killing a old weak horse doesn't mean their killing horses.

I have a problem with the fact that three coyotes took down a full grown horse....old and weak or not. Maybe in late winter w/ scarce food they mighjt try but this does not sound right to me. I'd still bet on neighbors Fido.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Bigfish57

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
Easy way to tell. Was the horse fed on?

Offline BoneHead

• 8 Pointer
  • What a BoneHead!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »
they kill lots of deer, livestock, and pets and thats enough for me, and not just the weak and old ones.Yes we all know they can't be eradicated,  ::) but in the short term, perhaps it could help the deer population recover.

SLT you do not seam to concerned about a farmers horse, what about a full grown adult woman. Novia Scotia is not to far from us.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33509516/

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2009, 04:45:59 PM by BoneHead »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »
I'm doing my part. ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
they kill lots of deer, livestock, and pets and thats enough for me, and not just the weak and old ones.Yes we all know they can't be eradicated,  ::) but in the short term, perhaps it could help the deer population recover.

SLT you do not seam to concerned about a farmers horse, what about a full grown adult woman. Novia Scotia is not to far from us.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33509516/

I'm not concerned with the horse, I stated that earlier ;) And I'll bet the owner isn't any farmer.  I shoot coyotes when I see 'em, I also shoot DOGS that harrass my livestock. Whack n stack all the coyotes you can and I'll do the same . I'm just saying that it is more likely domestic dogs bring down livestock than coyotes, especialy with so many turkeys around for them to feed on which are easier to catch than a horse. I've had numerous experiences with dogs chasing, harrassing my cattle but not so much with the coyotes.....certainly not defending coyotes
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline smeltshack

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »
You can read the article for yourself and determine your own results, but he homeowner sayst they hear coyotes all the time, the horse was fed on, and there are no small animals around anymore, Neighbors pets have probably dissapeared in the past. I believe it was more than 3 coyotes that took it down, but they said it was 3. Maybe they saw three tracks or soemthing. I will try to post a link if i can find it ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal