Author Topic: how to shim scope rings?  (Read 10405 times)

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
how to shim scope rings?
« on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
ive personally mounted 20 or so scopes on rifles and none needed to be shimmed . well i bought a  new leupold for my rem. 700 and upon sighting in,  my shots are still hitting low and my elevation adj. maxed out. how do you go about shimming the rings? ive never had to do this myself and never seen it done. any imput is appreciated. t.y.!
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 09:02:30 AM by mooseslayer71 »

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: how to shim scope rings?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »
Does the 700 have dove tails or is there a rail mounted to it? If it has a rail I would shim the rail. I would try swapping the rings front to rear first, sounds like something isn't right. Maybe even new rings or try a different scope to see if it's the scope.

Offline adkbrookie

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
when i think of shimming a scope all that comes to mind is bumping the scope and having it be off. If she isn't on there 100% solid I personally want nothing to do with it, too much of a chance imo. I would try different mounts and rings, and switching the back and fronts around seems like a good idea like stka said

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
its the same leupold base and rings thats been on it 10yrs. before i mounted the new scope i rechecked tightness. all was good. could it be my leupold vx-1 is defective? this gun has never been dropped or mishandled. was babied actually.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2011, 12:29:04 PM by mooseslayer71 »

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »
Does the 700 have dove tails or is there a rail mounted to it? If it has a rail I would shim the rail. I would try swapping the rings front to rear first, sounds like something isn't right. Maybe even new rings or try a different scope to see if it's the scope.
  i had a tasco world class plus and a simmonds aetec on it before without a problem like this. its starting to sound more and more like my scopes defective. gonna really put it under a microscope tonight. ill let you guys know if i find something.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
I would really be questioning the scope in that case. My uncle had a retical come loose in a scope on him last year, those things can happen. I'd call Leupold, how old is it? If it's under warranty I'd get it replaced.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:56:26 PM »
its brand spankin' new! sucks the season starts up here sat. and i wont have my gun ready.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
Have had scopes adjustments bind up.....try screwing it all the way down then back up....and thump it good...to set the crosshairs....

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
It's weird that it would be the scope though being as it's a brand new Leupold, base model or not their stuff is like a rock!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2011, 05:48:45 AM »
well i double checked everything again as well as back off on the scope settings. still couldnt bring it up high enough on the boresighter so i made 2 shims per ring from a coke can. seemed to work. was able to boresight it w/ some play to spare on the scopes elevation  settings. now i got to try it at the range. i too thought leupold was rock solid. would expect something like this from a simonds or tasco but ive had both of them as well and never had issues w/ either like this. maybe i should have stayed w/ them!

Offline adkbrookie

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2011, 02:26:28 PM »
well i double checked everything again as well as back off on the scope settings. still couldnt bring it up high enough on the boresighter so i made 2 shims per ring from a coke can. seemed to work. was able to boresight it w/ some play to spare on the scopes elevation  settings. now i got to try it at the range. i too thought leupold was rock solid. would expect something like this from a simonds or tasco but ive had both of them as well and never had issues w/ either like this. maybe i should have stayed w/ them!

i would call leupold, tell them the situation and i bet they will help you out. never heard a bad thing about their customer service.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2011, 05:45:17 AM »
thats funny! a 83 yr. old guide friend recommended the same thing. hes also a master gunsmith.

Offline mooseslayer71

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:37:24 AM »
well the coke can shims did the trick. 1st. shot was 2.5in. high. i made the adjustments. next shot was dead on. moved out to 100yrds. fired a 3 shot group. just a barely noticeable clover leaf hole at a half in. high. done deal! shes ready for tom.!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal