Author Topic: .308 vs .44 Mag  (Read 23022 times)

Offline BrowningBoy308

• Nubbie
  • The Best There Is
.308 vs .44 Mag
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
Me and my buddy have had a civilized argument going on for the past couple of months on which caliber is the best out of the two.  He claims a 44 mag is better because it is a brush gun.  I personally think that the .308 is a better caliber because it has more range and is the only rifle you need for Maine's big game animals.  What do guys think is the best out of the two?  I want to settle it once and for all!
What happens at deer camp stays at deer camp!

Offline tundraboy

• 6 Pointer
Re: .308 vs .44 Mag
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »
Good luck ...

Offline BigRedDodge1500

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Both of you have valid points and i agree with both you and i own both.  I have Ruger M77 RSI international with a manlicher in 308 and a Ruger Deerfield 44 mag.  I prefer the 308 for hunting out of the stand and l for longer range situations when i may be sitting high atop a ridge observing natural funnels on each side.  However, if i am driving or stalking you cant beat the light ease of carry, quick pull and knockdown power of the 44 mag.  So i know it doesn't help but i believe both have there advantages and i guess it depends on your hunting style.

Offline toecheese

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »
First off i love the term brush gun. What the hell is a brush gun. When you site in a brush gun do you do it with brush in front of your target? So you can take into account deflection and bullet fragmenting. All i have to say on the matter is that if you fatally hit a anamial with a bullet (or piece of a bullet) after the bullet hits brush it is just dumb luck. And just to add to the argument there have been more animals taken with a 30/30 in the state of maine then any other.

Offline BigRedDodge1500

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
My Defintion of Brush Gun.....A gun that is used when hunting on the ground or sitting against a tree in a area where there is thick heavy cover where you don't watch the deer come in a parade around in front of you at 100 yds, for situations where you jump a deer and visibility is low and your shots on animal that you have spotted are quick and in close range.  It has nothing to do with shooting through brush and over other obstacles its pertains to the  area where you are hunting and what style of hunting you are doing.  For example i hunt NH and most of the mountain is covered in very heavy laurel when following fresh tracks in the snow the odds are you are going to get a split second shot at short range on a deer and in that case you want a gun the will cycle quickly, pull easily and light enough to carry when your hiking through thick terrain.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 07:15:34 PM »
well judging by what i'v seen for woods in maine i would say that the 44 mag  is better for up there at least from what i'v seen our hunting camp is in the north woods about 40 miles from ashland and about 50 miles from portage lake   man is it thick there 1ooyrds would be along shot
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline grayghost

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
I would go with the 44 mag all day hands down. From what I have seen I can make any shot you can in the woods that you can make with a 308. You just can't beat the power of the 44 mag. Well you can but not with a 308. In the wide open fields and such its a different story, but if it was me go with the 44 mag you just can't go wrong.

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 10:19:31 PM »
First off i love the term brush gun. What the hell is a brush gun. When you site in a brush gun do you do it with brush in front of your target? So you can take into account deflection and bullet fragmenting. All i have to say on the matter is that if you fatally hit a anamial with a bullet (or piece of a bullet) after the bullet hits brush it is just dumb luck. And just to add to the argument there have been more animals taken with a 30/30 in the state of maine then any other.
My thoughts on the term brush gun, to me it isn't so much the cal as it is the overall length of the weapon as in the ability to carry it in thick brush. For instance I once had a model 94 Win  in 32 special that I would refer to as a good brush gun.  :D

Offline Litchfield Hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »
My Defintion of Brush Gun.....A gun that is used when hunting on the ground or sitting against a tree in a area where there is thick heavy cover where you don't watch the deer come in a parade around in front of you at 100 yds, for situations where you jump a deer and visibility is low and your shots on animal that you have spotted are quick and in close range.  It has nothing to do with shooting through brush and over other obstacles its pertains to the  area where you are hunting and what style of hunting you are doing.  For example i hunt NH and most of the mountain is covered in very heavy laurel when following fresh tracks in the snow the odds are you are going to get a split second shot at short range on a deer and in that case you want a gun the will cycle quickly, pull easily and light enough to carry when your hiking through thick terrain.
thats is what I would call a brush gun as well as a weapon with a heaver and thicker shot that can stand to hit a small twig branch ect. without as much as expansion as a smaller load
Its not a passion its an obsession

Offline Salmon_Run

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Jun 07, 2009, 08:16:32 AM »
Throwing in my .02 cents worth. I would chose the .308 as there are a great variety of bullet loads available for handloaders. That round will give you short range knock down power and can be tailored for longer range "open shots".

I too am not sure about the term "brush gun", but grew up in the thick woods of the Adirondacks and believed that a stout large calibre round was great for brush hunting. I take that that to mean the gun was used in dense cover and just that, the bullet would be able to be shot through brush with little deflections.

Hands down I would choose the .308; I carry a Kimber for deer hunting because the rifle is extremely light and easy to carry all day long. I also have a Stalker pistol in .308 and what fun that is to shoot in the woods and off the bench.

Hope this helps you both................ remember it is the gun that you carry that you have confidence in and practice with that will score the game..
" ditch the bitch and hunt!"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal