Author Topic: Sony P32 Homebrew Trail Cam Build(Its Finished)  (Read 8152 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Sony P32 Homebrew Trail Cam Build(Its Finished)
« on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
Starting my next trail cam build so I figured I would start a thread for it. This one I am building the case for instead of buying a kit. Some wonder what the cost of building one is so I will keep a price list next to the items I purchased. Some things I already own such as drill bit, Goop, solder gun, solder, and wires(Thanks stka). First thing I purchased was a Sony P32 camera its one of the easiest cameras to hack. Takes amazing pics for a 3.2 Megapixel camera. Next thing I ordered was an Otterbox 3250 for the case. Below is a total list of everything I needed to complete this build. I completed the external hack on the camera yesterday. Had a accident and broke a piece off the top of the camera case though. ::) Oh well better than the camera. The camera fits snug in the case after I cut some foam out with a razor blade. Next step will be to install the shutter assembly when it comes in.

Cost of items for the build(Shipping not included)
Camera - 36.85
Otterbox Case- 12.94
Glass 2 pc.- 5.00
P32 Shutter Assembly - 1.50
Double "C" battery holder - 1.99
HPWA Bigfoot Alignment mount- 4.00
1 pair of u bolts- 3.00
Wide Angel Lens- 5.00
Bigfoot board- 42.50

Total $112.43

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2011, 09:40:37 AM by drobertsinMaryland »

Offline St.Croix

• 6 Pointer
Re: Sony P32 Homebrew Trail Cam Build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2011, 02:19:25 PM »
Cool, I may have to do this too as I already own one of those sony cameras. Should be pretty easy as electro mechanical assembly is what I do for a living.

Vegetarian is an indian word for bad hunter

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
Cool, I may have to do this too as I already own one of those sony cameras. Should be pretty easy as electro mechanical assembly is what I do for a living.

Small world, me too.

Looking good Drob. You got some good practice and education on the last one. Maybe I should make one water proof to find out what time the walleyes swim by LOL.

Offline St.Croix

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:10:30 AM »
Small world, me too.

Looking good Drob. You got some good practice and education on the last one. Maybe I should make one water proof to find out what time the walleyes swim by LOL.

No kidding huh! What is your company? Here is the website for mine.
www.advanceddesign.com

Vegetarian is an indian word for bad hunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2011, 05:44:17 AM »
Thanks guys, waiting on the shutter assembly to get here so I can finish the camera hack.

Careful this is an addicting hobby. ;D ;D

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2011, 07:32:16 AM »
This is my company.
http://www.vistec-semi.com/

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2011, 12:45:05 AM »
Just completed the camera hack and everything still works as it should. ;D However there is one thing that should not work and its the lens cover. I took the batteries out before the hack and it stayed open like it should. Once I put the batteries back in it closes back up. Nothing ever goes like it should. ::) I am sure its a simple fix though. Here are both the videos on the hack. One is for an external battery source for longer battery life. The other is installing the shutter assembly and soldering the ground, power and shutter wires to the assembly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKYIQMHllE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxQkKqn4_j4&feature=related

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Just as I thought it was a simple fix. ;D I should not have plugged the connector back in for the lens motor. ::) Now to get the holes drilled in the case and get them sealed up with Goop.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »
Moving right along on this build. Drilled the 1 inch holes for the glass and the Fresnel. Installed them and sealed them up real well with Goop. If you notice I made a channel in the Goop between glass lens, then colored over with a permanent black marker. This is to prevent flash bleed. Drilled holes for the U bolts for security purposes. Installed them and sealed around the threads and nuts. Then I installed the double C battery holder for the external hack allowing longer camera life. Next thing was the water test in the sink. The case was bone dry after the test. Next thing is to use Liquid Nails on the case to hopefully give it a textured like appearance and then paint the exterior of it.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
After the Liquid Nails was applied to the case. Waited for the LN to setup and made a little roof over the glass of the flash and lens. Here are some pics, tomorrow I will paint it black.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »
Got the case painted this morning. What do you guys think? You can be honest.  Now all I have left to do is put the board mount and the board inside the case. The board should be here by Tuesday. Working on making a shelf for the camera out of aluminum metal. I will have this thing taking pics soon. ;D

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »
Kinda looks like someone who's a little cockeyed, ears lower than normal, sayong ......Oh................ kinda like one of my brothers..............just trying to be honest......

Other than that, it looks good! Will be anxious to see the pictures it takes...........that's the main thing.   8)

Pics from your other cam came out great.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:18:53 PM »
Looks good. If anything I'd add a little brown to the raised areas to help camo a little.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »
That's a very cool project DROB!! 
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
looks good to me dave....thanks for showing us the process...looks like fun 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal