Author Topic: Hunter Safety System  (Read 3310 times)

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
Hunter Safety System
« on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
I have one of the standard buckle type safety harness and the tether is too short and restricts me especially when trying to shoot my bow. I even cut out the break away flaps to give me a couple more inches but its still too short. Has anyone found a way to get a little more slack in the tether or a different strap to go around the tree?

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hunter Safety System
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
not sure what to tell you other than you probably shouldnt have cut the breakaway stitches... 

Maybe run to tractor supply and grab some rope and a clip and tie yourself a little bit of an extension?

Or just throw the thing out and get a muddy harness
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
I leave a rope or strap on the tree at all my stands. I tie off when I reach the stand. That way I can adjust the length of slack in my harness. I've been looking for real carabiners but have yet to find any that were to my standards. I also have a habit of shifting the stand around to make sure it's secure before heading up. I have had straps get loosened and chewed through.

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:10:46 PM »
I've been looking for real carabiners but have yet to find any that were to my standards.

EMS has them there is one in saratoga they are NOT cheap though
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
I can keep tying off for a while  ;D.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:25:36 AM »
I picked up a couple at EMS also, there anywhere from $8-$25 for real climbing carabiners.

I bought an HSS vest for my son this fall and it came with a climbing strap and two very nice carabiners.  I can't seem to think we would ever use the climbing strap, but It could be used as an extension to the teather with the carabiners.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
Guys, a good alternative to carabiners are the threaded locking links for chain. Get the BIG ones, they are cheaper than carabiners & have a working load rating in excess of 2,000 lbs. Also, once you screw the link together, there is no chance of it coming apart until you take it apart.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal