Author Topic: how do you cook a rabbit?  (Read 12132 times)

Offline adrenalin_rush

• Spiked
  • Git-r'-done
how do you cook a rabbit?
« on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »
i always shoot rabbits for other ppl and i wanted to try one myself. just need to know how to cook one. tips?
There i was back in the wild again, felt right at home where I belong. And I had that feeling comin' over me again, just like it happened so many times before. Oh Fred Bear, walk with me, down the trails again. Take me back, back where I belong. Oh Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side my friend. And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long.

Offline fishin_692

• Nubbie
Re: how do you cook a rabbit?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2009, 03:00:05 PM »
i always shoot rabbits for other ppl and i wanted to try one myself. just need to know how to cook one. tips?
put her on the grill with a lil beer and bbq . and eat it. we need to  shoot some and well grill em

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2009, 05:30:55 PM »
One of my favorite meals is Rabbit and Spaghetti. Parboil the Rabbit, then peel the meat off the bones and simmer in the spaghetti sauce. The rest is self explanatory...Mmm
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »
Usually skin it, wash it and then put in crock pot for 8 hrs low. then de-bone and use it in stew.
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline krayfish211

• Nubbie
  • me on the right 10pt 11-15-09
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:48:41 PM »

well i skin it then just cut the back straps off just like a deer and cut the back legs off thats all u need then with the straps cut in 1inch pieces place in a lil egg wash then flour fry em up then with the back legs putr a lil dry rub put em on the grill

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2009, 05:42:33 AM »
I usually go Jeremiah Johnson style and cook mine on a spit over an open fire. I sprinkle a little seasoning salt over the whole rabbit, skewer the rabbit on my spit, wire the back legs together and cook over an open campfire. I've got a firepit at the cabin with the spitrod setup ready to roll when we want to cook over the fire. Going out after "Bugs" this afternoon when I get done with snow removal. We have a major winter storm moving in tonight so I want to get a few before we have 14" of snow to deal with.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:26:59 AM »
Git a few, skin em, parboil em and put in a 9 in pie crust with bag of frozen veggies and some chicken gravy.  Cover with other pie crust.  350 for 25-30 minutes=rabbit pot pie.  Frickin delicious

Offline out door man

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »
skin it, wash it, put it in the crock pot with carrots and taters for about 6 to 8 hours. then eat up
Get The Spud Launcher !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:26:25 PM »
I Clean it well,   boil it,  Pull the meat off the bones and throw in a spaghetti sauce. The acidity in the tomato sauce breaks down the meat real well  (Parts of rabbit can be "rubbery").   Also like to pull the little back straps off, roll them in egg then flour and fry in butter (they are like chicken breast!). 
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2009, 01:29:31 PM by Issiah »

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
  (Parts of rabbit can be "rubbery"). 

Would it help to hang it like a deer for a couple days? let it relax a bit.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
Never tried that?

Offline kiltman

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
Fly-In;

You bet it will.
You can age any wild game/fowl. It does improve the flavor and tenderness.
Aging doesn't happen if the carcass freezes. 38-44 degrees will work good.
You can cook rabbits any way you can cook chicken.
Try 1/8-tsp of ground cumin, 1/8-tsp ground cinnamon and 1/2-tsp of paprika (mixed together) and use as a rub before baking.
Good on chicken, too.

bon-apitite

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal