Author Topic: Pulled venison BBQ  (Read 23251 times)

Offline cedarswamp

• Forked
Pulled venison BBQ
« on: Apr 15, 2009, 06:44:32 AM »
Does anyone have a good recipe for BBQ pulled venison
Led in the air or a line in the water

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
Re: Pulled venison BBQ
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
 I have a real simple one i use ice fishing and at deer camp.no power at camp so i cant crock pot it but that would be a little easier.I Put a roast in a big cast pot with lipton soup mix. slow cook it all day on the wood stove, take it off before bed.next day i put it back on the stove warm it up again pull it apart ,should just about fall apart now and add a bottle of sweet baby rays BBQ sauce and spice it up with hot sauce to taste. the guys at deer camp like it hotter than the ice fishing crew with the wife and kids.  HHMMMM may have to cook a batch up at the firehouse this week. i do the same thing with stew meat and make subs out of that if i dont have a roast with me.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2009, 05:52:13 AM »
I used the recipe below for a bone-in pork shoulder a few months ago.  Came out awesome.  For an 8 pound shoulder, I let it sit in the fridge for three days with the dry rub, then put it in the pot before I left for work in the morning.  It got about 10-11 hours of cook time, but could have used 1 or 2 more hours to make it easier to pull.

http://www.crumblycookie.net/2008/05/30/crockpot-pulled-pork/
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline jkoegel

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2009, 03:45:26 PM »
My wife's recipe.
Venison roast (rump or shoulder)
a few tablespoons of lard or butter (gets dry without it)
1 can of beer
seasonings (be creative, whatever flavors you like) I usually spice it up with some cayenne, black, and white pepper.
Throw all that in the crock pot (or dutch oven on the coals of your campfire)
let it cook till the roast starts to fall apart. usually 6 hours or more.
Add a little more beer if it all cooks off. You dont want it too soupy though.
Then make your own bbq sauce or dump in a bottle of your favorite.

the beer really helps tenderize and break down the meat so it pulls nicer.

Offline vermonner

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »
here's my bbq pulled pork for the crock pot, or when I'm not running my smoker (winter):
1 shoulder (bone it out to fit in pot if nec.) rubbed and fridged overnite.  Remove 1/2 hour before dropping in crock

The rub:
1TBSP Paprika
1Tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
dash cayenne
(double batch if big cut o'meat)

I s'pose you could substitute some hack meat from your deer, but I've never done it.

add rubbed shoulder and 1 can of coca cola to crock pot and cook on high for 5-6 hrs or low for 8-11.  Set on platter, let cool, shred.  Return to crock pot with 1 bottle of bbq sayuce for 45 minutees, on low, stirring occassionally

mmmmmm  mmmmmmmm  GOOD

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal