Author Topic: TC Firehawk .54 cal, loads etc.?  (Read 6758 times)

Offline Hell Fish

• Forked
TC Firehawk .54 cal, loads etc.?
« on: Sep 01, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
Hi everybody, I have acquired a Thompson Center .54 Firehawk from the Old Man. I want to get her up to speed for ML season. Any suggestions on powder and loads/sabots? I would like to use pellets but have only come across Pyrodex .54/60 gr. If loose powder is more optimal that's fine.

Also, purchased a Remington 750 carbine in 30-06. What is your opinion of these rifles? Any preferred rounds? 

Thanks for any advice.

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
Re: TC Firehawk .54 cal, loads etc.?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »
Pellets are convenient but more expensive.  Loose powder is a lot cheaper and you can tailor your load to exactly what you want.  A lot of the new muzzleloaders are rated for 150 grains of powder which in my opinion is way overkill for anything we're hunting in Maine.  I shoot 100 grains of FFg and a 260 grain sabot.  As for the Remington, it's a 30-06, you can't go wrong there.  If it groups well it'll do fine for you.

Offline Hell Fish

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 03, 2012, 06:19:19 PM »
Thanks chillywillie, I think you are right with the loose powder,  pellet selection for the .54 cal is limited and it would be nice to be able to tailor my charge to different bullets. The max charge in the Firehawk is 100 gr. I have been researching and plan on picking up some 425 grain (the only available weight in this caliber) Hornady Great Plains conicals and 325grain A-frame sabots from Swift. The gun is a 1:38 twist and as I understand it, the .54 caliber prefers a heavier bullet.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »
I have a TC Firehawk that I bought new years ago. I have never been able to get it to shoot what I would call "good". The best I can do is about 3" group at 50yds. Less powder shoots better for me. I use 80gr of cleanshot powder, hornady sabots with .44 cal bullets. If I go up to 100gr the group is twice as big. I've tried patched round balls, maxiballs, maxi hunters, TC sabots, buffalo bullets. Nothing shoots "good" for me. I consider it a 50yd gun and hope I don't have to use it. Fortunately most years I don't, that's why I haven't gotten rid of it. This gun is has the twist for sabot bullets so that's what I have worked with the most, I hate it, I traded my .54 Hawken that would take out the 1" circle in the target at 50yds with 3 shots because I wanted a gun that didn't look stupid with a scope. Wish I had the Hawken back. You'll have a hard time finding .54 cal powder pellets, I've heard they have them but could never find any. I went to the clean shot powder because it shot as good as anything and really does "shoot clean". Someday I'll get a different muzzle loader, but I do like the way the firehawk carries. I've also wanted to get the 209 conversion for it, but haven't yet. Good luck.

For my 3006 I use 165gr nosler partions, I reload my own, but you can get them in the federal premiums. Do some research, 165gr is going to do everything you need it to, especially with a premium bullet. People are going to tell you you need at least 180s or even 200s, not so, check a ballistics chart, 165 is going faster and hits harder. Busting brush with a bigger bullet, no such thing, do some research.

Offline Hell Fish

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
Thanks cjg. I will let you know what performance I can muster from her. I have read a fair amount of internet chatter and blogs that seems to indicate that this gun is capable of some fine shooting with the right formula being utilized. There is always the potential for a lemon too I guess. Pyrodex makes .54/60gr pellets but this is not practical in a 100 gr max load ML. We'll see!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal