Author Topic: Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-3  (Read 9069 times)

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-3
« on: Oct 15, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »
Greetings All,

I was hoping to find a couple of subject matter experts out there - or at least somebody who slept at a Holiday Inn Express   ;D regarding scopes.  I'm in the process of buying 2 new scopes and was wondering what people thought of the new Nikon Monarch series (w/ BDC).  I've got Leupolds Vari-X III's on my 2 Browning A-Bolts (.30-06 & .243) and absolutely love them, but thought I should at least ask the question as the Nikon's are less expensive and getting a lot of hype.

The 2 guns I'm putting them on:

1.  Remington 760 Pump (.308) - Trying to decide between the VX-3 3.5-10x40 and the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 w/ BDC.  This gun was my grandfathers and currently has a 15 yr old Tasco scope - I might as well be using the iron sights.

2.  Remington 7400 Carbine Semi-Auto (.30-06) - Decision between the VX-3 1.5-5x20 or the Monarch 2-8x32.   I bought this strictly as a brush gun and should probably be using iron sites, but my eyes are getting old (like the rest of me). 

Obviously there are a ton of other scopes to choose from, so if you've got other recommendations, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2009, 01:17:56 PM by brace »
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Nikon Monarch or Leupold VX-3
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »
I can't offer anything on either of the scopes mentioned, but I wouldn't spend "Leupold" type money on a scope for a brush gun. What are the odds of needing a great scope in the brush? I'm guessing you won't be shooting over 150 yards. I bought a Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42mm with a Ballistic Plex retical for my M77 30-06. I spent about the same money on the scope as the gun (~$400ea new) After glassbedding the rifle and finding the right powder load for a 165gr bullet, it's a pretty accurate set-up for the money. I like the scope a lot, it's pretty bright as far as light gathering goes. I was able to shoot a coyote in the moonlight without a light even though I could barely see it with my naked eye at 75+ yards.

halfrack33

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
All i use are bushnells. They're a good scope at a great price. I like the idea of the ballistic retical though. I'de get one with that next.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
I've had Nikon and leupold and will tell you that at low light conditions the two cannot even be compared. The Nikon is the only choice to buy.

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »
I would lean toward the Leupold if I had to choose between the two.

Now that I've answered your question to some degree, I want to throw out a couple ideas to you. 

For the 870, what range are you really looking to use this gun at?  Cabela's  makes a decent shotgun scope with what they call an EXT reticle.  It is like the BDC reticle except it has 100 yard, 150 yard, and 200 yard bullet drop markings.  I have a cheap pine ridge on my muzzleloader and believe it or not, it's not a half bad scope.  The Slugger EXT is a 3-9 x 40 and it's only $100.00.  Reviews are 4.4 out of 5 stars on Cabela's website.

Of course, for $100, it's not a Leupold.  They do make a shotgun scope called the rifleman which is over twice the price of the Cabela's scope but it's a Leupold and you'll see the quality different and it will probably be a bit brighter because of the better lens coatings.

While I do believe you get what you pay for, Cabela's does pretty good with standing behind their products and I just have a hard time paying over $400 for a scope that's going on a $300 shotgun.  No one should take this personally, this is just my opinion.  It's what I think... if you have a $600 scope on your shotgun and it works for you then great.

Another scope I'm impressed with is the Trijicon Accupoint.  I haven't been able to compare them to the Leupold VXIII or VXII, but I like the illuminated reticle.  I can see that scope coming in handy when bear hunting over bait in the dwindling day light when the larger bears come out.  With shooting light left, normal black crosshairs dissapear when you put them on a bear and even though you can tell where the shoulder is, sometimes it's tough to know exactly where your crosshairs meet.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  Kurren - I'm not putting a scope on a shotgun, both are rifles.  The Trijicon is an interesting option - I've used their CQB sites in Iraq and liked them.  The .308 is being refurbished (new blueing and stocks redone) right now and will be a gift for my son after the scope is added.  It was given to me by my grandfather on my 14th birthday, so I figured I'd keep the trend going.  While old, it still shoots great. 

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »
I don't know where I got 870 from... must have been selective reading.  LOL I don't know.  Whatever you get, let us know what you think of it.  The more information the better. :)

Offline MaineHuntah

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »
Personally I've got a 3-9 X 40 Nikon Buckmaster on my .270 A-Bolt and love the set up. I looked at Leopolds and more expensive Nikons, but for the conditions that I hunt, I didn't see a $200-$300 difference between these scopes. I agree that for a brush gun and the two model rifles that you mentioned, these scopes you mentioned may be a little much. I mean personally I've seen a couple of 760 or 7600 (carbines I believe) that couldn't group 3 shots in a pie an at 100 yards. So I guess my advice would be to really think about what you want from these rifles and then decide how much scope you need. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed with which ever you pick.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2009, 01:03:37 PM »
I'm not trying to offer anyone free advertising, but check opticsplanet for prices when you decide on what you want. This was my best price found when I bought my last two scopes.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
Thanks all for your valuable input - Some times I can be a little thick headed.  No question,  those scopes are way more then what I need.    Again, thanks for your input!!

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »
i own both type scopes and have been a firm believer in leupold but now i swear by nikon
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal