Author Topic: Re: Post Big Buck Pictures Here  (Read 156061 times)

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Re: Post Big Buck Pictures Here
« Reply #105 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:35:39 PM »
Awesome buck roscoe!!!  I love seeing those big chocolate racked beauties you get to tag every year
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #106 on: Nov 27, 2007, 06:24:26 AM »
very nice buck! sounds like you made a great shot and he looks like he was well into the rut by the size of his neck. I like those long tines. Congrat roscoe 

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #107 on: Nov 27, 2007, 07:44:35 AM »
Nice job Roscoe, great shot & beautiful rack on that buck

Offline GAMEDOG

• 6 Pointer
  • If it swims, walks , or flies, it dies!
« Reply #108 on: Nov 27, 2007, 03:13:50 PM »
Another Montana mulie.                                                                                                                                                                             

Offline sunfishkid

• Forked
« Reply #109 on: Nov 27, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »
nice mule deer   :)

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #110 on: Nov 27, 2007, 07:51:56 PM »
Nice Mulie Gamedog.

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #111 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »
Well after 9 days in the woods I finally have a chance to update everybody about the week.  Opening day started interesting. Getting into my climber I "bumped" my rifle and never really gave it a second thought. 7:30 am a small button buck comes through, this is the same one that bothered me every day in the bow stand. 8:05 a big doe comes through the north end of the swamp I'm watching. 8:30 I hear a deer crunching through. I see it and see horns !!!! Great, he's coming upwind from me and quartering toward me. He goes through the first 2 shooting lanes, comes into the third lane at 40 yards and stops ! I aim at the neck, squeeze off a shot, he jumps straight up and runs a 15 yard 1/2 circle and stops. I'm waiting for him to tip over and die. I watch him stand there for about 45 seconds and realize somethings wrong. I find his front shoulder in the scope and touch off again, he starts walking quartering away. In the last lane I touch off a third shot & he keeps right on walking without a care in the world. I got out of my stand and go to where he was, I find about 15 short hairs. I was able to follow his tracks through the frozen swamp and 20 yards later find a small drop of blood, good I think, 40 yards and another SMALL drop of blood, where I took the last shot I find another SMALL drop of blood, 60 more yards and nothing !!!!! 2 hours of searching and no more blood..... I'm sick to my stomach.
 After I came out for lunch, I checked my scope, that little "bump" to my scope getting in my stand had my gun shooting 4" to the left & 6" high at 25 yards. !!! UUGGGHHHH !!!!  Re-sight.

Monday morning, same stand. 7:30 I hear deer crunching through the swamp. A doe goes through one of my shooting lanes and another deer is right on her tail about 100 yards through the swamp. It stops. All I can see is the stomach back. Looking through the scope I can see the dark tarsal gland. I know it's a buck, just no idea of how big. He didn't move for a minute to a minute and a half. Finally it turns it head, now I can see it's eye, nose & left side. I still can't see any horns. After another minute or so it finally turns it's head to lick it's hind quarter. I see the bow of the rack. I touch off a shot. Down he goes in the swamp grass. The doe walks about 10 yards and stopped. I waited a few minutes and got on the radio to my dad and told him to get over here and help me out. The doe stayed there for a few more minutes and started to walk off. All of the sudden I see the buck walking behind her.. I can't believe it. I find him in the scope but can't get a clean shot, finally they walk away into the scrub field. I got out of the tree and walked through the swamp to where they were. Luckily there was a thin layer of ice so it was easy to find where they were walking though. I see where they were and can't find any blood again. I continued to track them, 40 yards, 60 yards 80 yards and still no blood. I'm getting that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach again. How could I have missed him again? I stayed on the tracks, 100+ yards from the shot, I looked up across the creek and 40 yards away there he laid !!!!  I got over to him and found that my shot hit him on top of the shoulder and drove the length of his body. When I was dressing him the one hind quarter was obliterated from the bullet and never exited him. Across the top of his neck is a few day old 1" long graze shot. He's the same one I hit on Saturday morning.

Turned out to be a 140 lb 6pt, not my biggest but respectable
Heres the pics...

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 12:12:25 PM by TR19 »

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #112 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:32:50 PM »
WTG TR19 Great story and Congrats dandy buck.

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #113 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:28:58 PM »
Way to go Bud!Glad to see you got another poke at him and was able to take him.Makes it seem just right knowing your second chance got the first chance,if that makes any sense. :-\ 8)

Offline MasterAngler

• Forked
« Reply #114 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:21:06 PM »
Good to see you got a second chance on yours TR19, and made it count.  I cringe everytime I happen to bump my gun even a little bit, amazing what it can do sometimes.

Got this one this afternoon.  My second biggest.  Got out at 1:00, made a slow hour long .5 mile walk to my spot.  Set out a doe estrous smoke stick, done afew buck grunts when I first got there, then when everything settled down and my stick was 2/3 done burning done a series of estrous doe bleats, and 5-10 minutes latter he stepped out at 250 yards with his nose down and coming in fast.  I let him come to 75 yards, broadside, and dropped him in his tracks.   Had him gutted and loaded and driving back to town by 3:30, pretty short hunt.  Just scored him at 151 gross, 143 5/8 net.

« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007, 09:54:16 PM by MasterAngler »

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #115 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »
Nice rack master, love those heavy chocolate colored racks you guys get. Thanks Roscoe & BigIce also

Offline griff

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #116 on: Nov 29, 2007, 09:25:41 PM »
I shot this buck on tuesday the 27th while I was putting on a drive through a golden rod field.  I walked passed it and happen to glance and saw the antler.  he was lying in his bed looking at me.  I didnt give him a chance to get up, you can see his legs still folded under him. my biggest buck to date.  9 point 144 lbs 17.5 inch spread 5.5 inches bases the pictures might be deceiving because I am 6'6"  the last three times I put this drive on have resulted in me getting deer, 5 pt muzzler loader last year, doe thanksgiving and Mr. Big this year. 

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007, 09:28:02 PM by griff »

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #117 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:51:29 AM »
Great job Griff, nice mass on that rack. Congrats again !!!

Offline MasterAngler

• Forked
« Reply #118 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:13:26 AM »
Nice PB griff. And not giving him a chance to get up....nice.  The deer in my avatar was bedded, with a doe, I was about to shoot him lying down, but he heard the click of the hammer and jumped, luckily he stopped to look back, his worst mistake ever, LOL.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2007, 09:26:47 AM by MasterAngler »

Offline BIG NINE!!!

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #119 on: Nov 30, 2007, 09:42:45 AM »
Griff,
Great buck!!! I saw the pictures last night that you e-mailed to me. I knew someone would catch up with him sooner or later, I'm glad it was you! He is going to look nice on your wall!! Hopefully I will be able to join you guys next Tues/Thurs., maybe there will be another one for me!!  ::) ::)

Congrats!!

BigNine!
Later,
BIG NINE!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal