Author Topic: Where's all the deer at  (Read 5303 times)

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
Where's all the deer at
« on: Oct 18, 2013, 07:24:22 PM »
My deer sightings have slowed a lot over the last few weeks. I can only assume by the lack of dead deer down post I'm not the only one. All the acorns I had located earlier in the season have fallen and been gobbled up. Checked a few other possible spots over the weekend same deal not many acorns. With limited time I haven't and won't be able to scout again till not this but next weekend. So it looks as though for the next week or so I will just be logging hours in the stand in hopes of catching one passing by.

Offline pipes18079

• 6 Pointer
Re: Where's all the deer at
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »
Had my first sighting this evening in a long time he hung around for a while but just out of my comfort zone but not by much.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:44:11 PM »
i havent been seeing th numbers either saw one buck to night that was it.  Camera shows they are still there had 6-7 different bucks

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2013, 03:33:46 AM »
Well you guys both saw bucks tonight so that is good. Headed back out this morning figure maybe something will happen this morning since it would be very inconvenient for me to get one. With my truck in the shop I'm stuck driving the family minivan, sure I would get some looks with one strapped to the roof. 

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2013, 06:57:53 AM »
Been just the opposite for me, saw one buck that I shot in the first 2 weeks in just th past week I have passed a dozen does inside 20 yds. And had a gorgeous 8 pt. come through on thurs. At 55 yds. Wish it were closer. Grunted in a solid 2.5 yo 6 pt. last week to with no shot offered
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »
i went 10 sits w/out seeing a tail, then thursday evening i whacked a medium sized doe. the shot was low, but right behind the front legs.  had a real nice blood trail coming out of both sides of the deer.  followed the deer for a LONG ways until it went to a cut green field.  lost the blood there.  spent another hour looking with no results.  it poured thursday night.  went back first thing friday morning and searched the area for another two hours.  no dice.  she lost A LOT of blood...i kept thinking i'd bump into her, but it didn't happen.

scouted a new area yesterday mid-day.  didn't see ANY fresh buck sign.  sign in general was tough to find w/ all the fresh leaves...

got a few bucks on camera in a new area.  sat there last night and had one sneak through 60+ yards out around 6:05. 

MA archery opener tomorrow.  got the day off.  hope to make up for thursday!!!!!!

good luck...think the action is about to really start heating up!

Offline The Butcher

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
I have been seeing a ton of deer. More deer than I have ever before...not sure if it is because the acorns are starting to dry up or what.

Now bucks on the other hand....I can't seem to see anything but a spike. In person or on camera..

I am counting on this colder week coming off a full moon to start the ball rolling. 2 drippers will go in this week.

Good luck to all, like deerme said....its about to heat up!!!!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »
i havent seen a deer in 10 sits  >:( hopefully this cold weather and new moon changes all that
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline The Butcher

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
BJ?!?!  is this considered foreplay?!?!?!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2013, 06:38:52 AM »
Lol
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »

LMAO  ;D ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:28:58 AM »
i hope the other one isn't another spike!!!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
i hope the other one isn't another spike!!!

:o that would be no bueno
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2013, 08:53:11 AM »

No kidding  :o :o
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »
Ha Great pic!  Been a little slow for me, haven't been able to get out as much as I would like the last two weeks either.  Hopefully the cooler temps and shorter days get things going.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal