Author Topic: Some of your opinions on 7mm-08 and Moose hunting  (Read 18707 times)

Offline fishless12

• Nubbie
Some of your opinions on 7mm-08 and Moose hunting
« on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:28:30 AM »
I'm a member of mff and ice shanty, but this is my first hunting forum post...

I have a remingtion model seven chambored in 7mm-08 and I gotta say this gun is absolutely great. I've shot two deer with it, one dropped (spined it) and the other ran less than 30 yards (heart was 'sploded) These shots were taken with federal 140 grain bslistic tips.

The rifle it's self is a dream to handle, light and smooth, etc.

I've done some reading and I'm confident that I could use it for Moose if I'm lucky enough to draw a permit. It is basically a .308, after all.

My question is what your opinions would be on the best factory load for this. From what I've read Nosler accubond and the federal TSX copper bullets would be the top of the list, but I'm wondering if any of you have used a 7mm08 on Moose in Maine.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Some of your opinions on 7mm-08 and Moose hunting
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
No doubt it can be done, no room for error though. You need to be perfect. Yes it is a .308 casing but the .284 bullet will not hit as hard, most who shoot moose with a .308 will do so with 180 gr. Quite a bit more lead. I can vouch for Federal Nosler Partitions on large game. Good luck to you, if I had a choice I would be shooting something larger than a .308 or 7mm-08 but if it is all you got it can be done just be perfect.

It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
Friend of mine has shot two moose with his .270 one shot on each I think using 150 grain
Take a Kid outside...

Offline buckhunta

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2011, 08:41:09 AM »
i shot my moose at 274 yards with one shot from my 30-06 180 grain silvertip

IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN
people that steal other peoples stuff  are lower than whale on the bottom of the ocean

Offline Brewerbass

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »
Moose are not hard to kill.  Shoot it thru the lungs and it will be yours.  Your 7mm-08 will work just fine.

Offline VenisonFreak

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
I think most would agree that a 7mm magnum is a good caliber for moose, and this is just a slightly detuned
 version of that. If you use a good solid bullet that will stay intact for deep penetration and limit your shot to under 200 yards you should be fine. Good shot placement in the boiler room is key.

Offline icefisha22

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2011, 09:39:03 AM »
I really think it is Much more about shot placement than caliber.  I know one man that hunts moose exclusively with a .243 and has never lost a wounded moose. whether you put it through the heart or lungs with a 243 or whatever else, the bottom line is that it will die, perhaps run a bit further, but still die. that being said, if you shoot it in the back hip, regardless of caliber, your in trouble.  IMO a bigger caliber is better if its available, but a good shot is the key.

Offline fishless12

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
Yep, I'm not looking to shoot a moose a mile away. 200 yards would be the farthest I could imagine shooting one with my rifle, most likely less than 150 yards

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »
Having guided for moose for about ten years now I have hunters ask me all the time what caliber I recomend them to use! 30-06 and up is my choice! With a moose being big the margin of error is also big! Hit in the shoulders, chest or neck with an underpowered gun and it makes for a long day. The best I have probably seen I would say is a 7mm. We will put it this way, the only moose that we were not able to see drop and DIDNOT recover was hit in the hole between the shoulder and neck with a 308 so I definitely recomend something smaller! Remember when hunting the perfect broadside shot in the ribs is not always presented to you! Good luck

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
your 7-08 will be fine. moose arent tough to kill at all. if you are forced to shoot facotry ammo then you are on the right track but ide take the partition ovr the accubond hands down ESPECIALLY in the lighter 7-08 bullets. you will get far better penitration w/ the partitions. the tsx also would be a very dependable performer. though i use 350's and whelens for much of everything dont listne to the neh sayers who think it isnt enough gun. IT IS

Offline nofishin

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
it is a fine caliper.  it is about where you hit them not how big the bullet is.  I have guided a lot of hunts and even the best hunters lock up when a big bull is in front of them.  aim small miss small.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal